Learning doesn’t just happen indoors, there are loads of maths opportunities outside, even on a walk in the woods.
- Counting cars (how many red, blue) etc. on the way to nursery or the shops.
- Looking at numbers around us – on house doors, registration plates, shop windows.
- collect sticks, pine cones, conkers and line them up in size order.
- collect stones and look at their shapes.
- pick up leaves and find matching ones, count the points, size order, do they resemble any shapes.
- look around you for shapes, windows, roof, drain covers, street signs etc.
The list is endless.